Rosa Mosaic is a group of companies providing commercial and residential subcontracting in hard and soft flooring finishes and wall finishes, natural and engineered stone fabrication, precast terrazzo manufacturing and distribution. The group of companies consists of Rosa Mosaic and Tile Company, Vesta Tile & Stone, Bella Stone Designs, and Venosa. The contracting companies operate in a four-state region and Venosa sells its products nationally. The first company was started 85 years ago, and through the years, each of the companies have participated in constructing some of the finest buildings in the United States.
The Controller reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer of the group of companies and works closely with company group colleagues as a member of the senior management team. The Controller will manage the financial affairs of the group, including financial reporting, taxes, insurance, budgeting, cash management, banking, billing, benefit programs, union relations, and contract review. The Controller has the support of and supervises three people performing accounting functions in the family of companies.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Manages accounting functions for four operating companies and one real estate holding company.
- Prepares and reviews monthly and year-end financial statements for each business in a timely manner.
- Provides analysis of monthly financial statements and prepare reports to summarize and interpret current and projected company financial position for management review.
- Conducts monthly and year-end meetings with senior leadership team to review key financial performance indicators and advise on opportunities for improvements.
- Works with senior leaders to establish annual financial budgets.
- Performs general ledger adjustments and reconciliations.
- Coordinates with and responds to requests for information from accounting firm performing annual financial review and tax return preparation.
- Coordinates and manages external audits by government agencies and insurance firms.
- Supervises core accounting processes including payroll, accounts payable, billings, collections, and inventory allocations performed by three other accounting personnel.
- Reviews construction contracts to verify conformance with estimates, insurance requirements, labor laws, union contracts and billing requirements.
- Tracks and reports on variances of actual job costs to budget to assist in managing completion of projects within budget.
- Reviews monthly billings with supporting documentation for work under contract to general contractors, owners and construction managers.
- Reviews accounts receivable aging reports and guides process to pursue collection of funds retained after substantial completion of contracts.
- Monitors and coordinates updates and implementation of changes required by accounting and tax regulations to general accounting and other information systems.
- Performs appropriate data collection for the preparation of federal, state, and local agency reports and tax returns.
- Supervises external providers of established employee benefit programs, provides external consulting firms with required information and reviews performances.
- Performs annual review of commercial insurance packages, bonding requirements, employee benefit programs, purchasing agreements and union contracts to negotiate annual agreements.
Desired Skills & Experience
- Strategic – sound analytical and forecasting skills for vetting the merit of alternative solutions and potential opportunities with the discipline to identify and implement changes.
- Energized – works with a sense of urgency and positive attitude when engaging with others.
- Passionate – guided daily by the group’s mission and core values.
- Leader – easily moves others to action by planning and organizing the work, with a strong focus on training and motivating others, and establishing a cadence for frequent interaction with employees.
- Communicator – establishes trust with customers, employees, vendors, and colleagues.
- Accurate – exhibits the group’s quality commitment to “do it once, do it right”.
- Trustworthy – ability to work discreetly and honorably with confidential information.
- Content – aptitude for timeliness, documentation and organization.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration with a concentration in accounting.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience with substantive time in a full-charge accounting role.
- Candidates possessing construction and/or manufacturing industry experience is desirable.
- Competent in Microsoft Office suite of products, email and cloud-based applications.
- Competent with accounting programs similar to ComputerEase and QuickBooks.
- Familiarity with business management software, particularly Odoo or similar.